"... I thought you'd be on the side of law and order."
"No, young man," said Bishop Beartongue, despite being several centuries his junior. "I am on the side of justice. If we're lucky, the two run in parallel. If they don't, we bend the law to attain justice, not the other way around." [loc. 4092]
Edmund leaves the Temple of the Many-Armed God with a mule named Sweetheart, a selection of rare books and an ancient artifact that he's been tasked with transporting to an academic in Archen's Glory. He has no intention of returning to the temple, with its misogynist priests and antiquated ways. But before he has time to make plans, bandits happen -- and he accidentally unsheathes the artifact (a sword) and releases a silver-eyed angel.
The angel is ... no angel. His name is the Dervish, and he's been imprisoned in the sword for many years: his last wielder was a sadistic priest, and consequently he has no time for religion, or indeed wielders. He is a walking mass of trauma, but (in his opinion) 'very pretty trauma'. And he helps Edmund survive the journey -- via more outlaws, an excellent gnole, a cobbled-together dragon, and a diplomat from another species -- though what the pair find when they reach the city is not what either of them expected.
This was an absolute delight: a romance, yes, but also a story about healing, and about loyalty, and about scholarship. (There is some steam. They are in a sauna.) I am happy to report that Zale features in Daggerbound, as do other characters from Kingfisher's previous explorations in the World of the White Rat.
Daggerbound has heroism, emotional inarticulacy, gnole pronouns, the importance of books, and an exciting new use for bacon. The characters -- human and otherwise, good and bad -- have personality and motivation, and the worldbuilding is thorough without being forced.
I requested this from NetGalley despite having the Kindle version pre-ordered, which should give you some idea of my enthusiasm for this series. Already looking forward to Shieldborn...
Read because: It showed up on Netgalley, and even though I have the Kindle edition preordered I couldn't resist.

No comments:
Post a Comment