Saturday, February 06, 2021

2021/018: A Civil Campaign -- Lois McMaster Bujold

"Biology isn't destiny?"
"Not any more, it's not." [loc. 2305]

In which Miles Vorkosigan attempts to court Ekaterin, except that instead of telling her he tells everyone else. There is also a thoroughly hellish dinner party, not helped by someone moving the place cards; the introduction of the delightful Byerly Vorrutyer; a trans character (of sorts); some typically Barrayaran skulduggery; and a hapless genetic engineer, plus his girls.

I did enjoy this reread, but again have little to say about the main plot. (I think that might be a function of my state of mind during this latest late-winter slump, rather than the books I reread: on the other hand I had rather more to say about Shards of Honor ...) Ekaterin rocks. Lord Dono is awesome, and makes some very interesting and pertinent observations about the sexism inherent in Barrayaran culture. (I do wonder if Lady Donna liked -- or was attracted to -- men very much, though.) Byerly, who I barely noticed on first reading lo these many years ago, is a splendid character. The dinner party is the stuff of nightmares and Miles does not acquit himself well.

And so concludes my recent dip into Bujold's Vorkosigan saga. I'm vaguely tempted to reread Barrayar, but don't have an e-copy and am attempting not to buy full-price books this month. I think, if I feel the need for more of these characters, I'll veer fanfic-wards or reread Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment