Saturday, February 13, 2021

2021/020: The Absolute Book -- Elizabeth Knox [reread]

"I wasn't born when you found yourself having to pay for your stolen land. Which, being thieves, you chose to pay for with stolen human souls."[loc. 6070]

Reread, for the 'reread a favourite' part of the Reading Women Challenge 2021, and because I was reminded of its awesomeness by various promotional events in advance of the UK/US publication (UK Publication 18th March 2021). Here's Elizabeth Knox being interviewed by Dan Kois...

My original review is here.

This time around I found myself noticing more resonances with Knox's other work, in particular Black Oxen -- possibly because that's a fairly recent reread -- and perhaps The Vintner's Luck. I suspect there are many more echoes: this is a book of love, an author's attempt to write her way into happiness, a carefully-crafted salvation (and how I wish, especially now, that it could come true), and I think that conscious decision to write a route to happiness must revisit other mapped moments of joy, other characteristic elements of the author's interior world(s).

I believe Knox has made some minor changes in the UK/US edition: I would love to know what those are. New-come readers won't read the book I read and loved ...

No comments:

Post a Comment