Saturday, June 05, 2021

2021/070: The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic -- Emily Croy Barker

“I worked as a cook, a couple of years ago,” Nora said. “Before I was, um, a fairy princess.”
“Ah,” said Mrs. Toristel, as though this were a well-established career progression. [p. 105]

Reread in advance of the long-awaited sequel, How to Talk to a Goddess and Other Lessons in Real Magic, which I requested and received for review. This time around, the chapters that Nora spends in Ilissa's palace felt too long, too formless: the real story only starts when she leaves. Other than that, still an enjoyable read, and as usual I had forgotten all but a few fragments of plot. (I'd have liked to know what really happened to Emmeline, whose tombstone Nora reads.)

My original review from 2014 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment