Saturday, April 10, 2021

2021/046: Cold Comfort Farm -- Stella Gibbons [reread]

‘Mus’ Amos, he’s down seein’ the well drained for Sairy-Lucy’s Polly we think she’s fallen into it; Mus’ Reuben, he’s down Nettle Flitch, ploughin’; Mus’ Seth, he’s off a-mollocking somewheres in Howling; Miss Judith, she’s upstairs a-layin’ out the cards.’
‘Well, I shall go up and find her. What does mollocking mean? … No, you need not tell me. I can guess. [loc. 1021]

Reread for Lockdown Book Club: still good. This time round I read Flora Poste very much in the 'white saviour' mould, if you can have that without going abroad and saving the benighted folk of some colony. "But they're all happier at the end!" cried the Lockdown Book Club. Yes, true, but did they want to be happy, eh? Eh?

My previous review is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment