Monday, January 30, 2023

2023/016: The Redoubtable Pali Avramapul — Victoria Goddard

“There have been few things I wanted I did not want to earn... I could have wished for my friends, to find them … but wishes are dangerous, Elena. One must be careful they do not come too true. But the possibility of a wish, now, that is a fine and splendid thing.” [loc. 2433]

This is the second in the 'Red Company Reformed' series, set in Victoria Goddard's 'Nine Worlds' universe: though it's a direct sequel to The Return of Fitzroy Angursell, it doesn't start where that novel left off, but rather some time before, when Pali Avramapul -- also known as Domina Black, a professor of Late Astandalan History at University of Stoneybridge -- sets off on a journey to Solaara to do some research and to meet the Last Emperor, Artorin Damara. En route to Solaara, she also passes through Ragnor Bella, where she encounters an old friend, and the two visit an inn in the village of St-Noire. And thence to Solaara, and her interview with the Emperor. (That encounter appears in The Hands of the Emperor: I developed an antipathy to Pali at that point in the earlier novel, but confess I liked her rather more after reading her account of their conversation.) Then back to Stoneybridge, where she resigns from her position and sets out on an adventure, hoping that the time has come to use the third of three wishes that she was once granted by a magical being. But her quest does not go exactly to plan: and by halfway through the novel, the story's caught up with the end of The Return of Fitzroy Angursell, and it's time for Pali to start to deal with her emotions, and reconnect with her friends.

I am still not especially fond of Pali, but I did feel I understood her better. And I know what it is to suddenly, sinkingly realise that one's light-hearted banter has been immensely hurtful to a friend, so I can empathise with that aspect of her story. Her relationship with Fitzroy does become easier, though her attitude towards one of his dearest friends ("I despise him... I have sworn vengeance upon him for the hurt he has done one of mine." [5219]) needs some work.

Pali's origins have an intriguing, distinctly 'Arabian Nights' flavour: at some point I shall get around to the 'Sisters Avramapul' series, especially now that I have encountered Pali's delightful sister Sardeet, and her 'tigers'.

No comments:

Post a Comment