Friday, December 02, 2022

2022/151: Iorich — Steven Brust

No one can do everything perfectly; mistakes happen. But we’re assassins: when we make mistakes, people live. [p. 81]

I used to be a huge fan of Brust's Vlad Taltos books: I lost track some time in the first decade of this century, possibly after not really engaging with Jhegaala (though I note I accidentally reread Dzur back in 2017: coincidentally, just after I purchased Iorich.). Anyway, this felt like a return to form (assuming form had been departed from), and reminded me of how much I like the characters, the setting and the style.

Iorich brings Vlad back to Adrilankha, despite the fact there's still a price on his head, because his friend Aliera has been arrested on a trumped-up charge. Vlad, with the help of an Iorich named Perisil, investigates the case, works out what it's really about, and ... well, 'resolves' is probably not the right word here. 'Terminates' might do better: 'with extreme prejudice' certainly applies.

Very nice to see Vlad back on familiar territory both geographically and psychologically; good to renew my acquaintance with his friends, especially Morrolan and Sethra, and to see him getting along with ex-wife Cawti and their son. There's some great dialogue, as usual, and a hilarious set of deleted scenes. I enjoyed this more than I'd expected when I dredged it from my TBR.

Yes, Deverra is in this one.

Yes, one of these days I will reread the whole series from the beginning, including the ones I've missed. I see Tsalmoth (book 16!) is out in April: that might prove a sufficient spur ...

No comments:

Post a Comment