Saturday, August 21, 2021

2021/100: The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog -- Elizabeth Peters

It is much more sensible to be an optimist instead of a pessimist, for if one is doomed to disappointment, why experience it in advance? [loc. 4428]

I'd been sampling various non-fiction books about the history and archaeology of Egypt: eventually, I had to admit to myself that what I really craved was more cheery historical mystery set in the world of early twentieth-century Egyptian archaeology. It did take me a while to work out how far into the Amelia Peabody series I'd read on my previous foray, back in 2017. Tragically, I had to reread several of the novels to reacquaint myself with the cast ...

The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog fits, chronologically, between The Last Camel Died at Noon and The Hippopotamus Pool. It's set in 1898/9: Ramses, who is 11, has stayed behind in England while Amelia and Emerson go to Egypt for another season of archaeology. Old friends and new enemies progress the plot. More dubious ethics: administering laudanum without the patient's consent (especially heinous given that the patient was recently forced to consume opium), and planting archaeological artefacts. There is a new cat, Anubis, and a delightfully named German medic, Dr Schadenfreude. And matters back in England do not seem to be wholly under control, despite Ramses' assurances in his letters.

Great fun: I'm glad I saved some books in this series, because I was very melancholy between cats, and this had just the right combination of humour, heroics and intelligence. (I don't think I'd consciously noted just how much history, archaeology and political commentary Peters slides into her settings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment