Tuesday, December 24, 2019

2019/134: The Duchess War -- Courtney Milan

“My dear,” he said. “I give you my word that you’ll have an offer of marriage before I leave. Even if I have to do the job myself.”
She jumped to her feet, pushing away from him. “That’s not funny,” she said, not even bothering to moderate her tone. “It’s not a joke, no matter what you might think, and I’ll thank you to stop treating it as one.” [p. 36]

This novel's been on my Kindle for some time: I was prompted to read it by the recent RWA implosion, and found it enjoyable enough that I intend to read the rest of the 'Brothers Sinister' series.

The setting is Leicester in the 1860s: a hotbed of sedition and workers' movements. The novel opens with Wilhelmina Pursling -- Minnie for short -- and the hero, Robert (Duke of Clermont) hiding behind the same sofa: he for a quiet smoke, she to avoid her unpromising fiance Mr Gardley. Minnie just wants a quiet life, but George Stevens (engaged to Minnie's friend Lydia) has been investigating the provenance of some 'seditious' handbills, and believes that Minnie is the author. Minnie has secrets that she can't afford to have revealed to the world -- secrets that Stevens will uncover sooner or later.

Enter the Duke of Clermont, who has secrets of his own and sufficient privilege that they can't damage him. He is intrigued by Minnie's intelligence and reserve, and rashly promises to ensure that someone better than Gardley will offer for her hand. Minnie can't afford romance: but could the Duke's position protect her? And will his mother, the current Duchess, manage to dissuade this young upstart from associating with her son?

Some interesting radical politics and period-typical sexism in here, as well as Minnie's scandalous past, and the effects of her secrets on those who discover them. I am happy to say that communication issues drive only a very small part of the plot, and that the antagonistic older female has sound reasons for being embittered. Courtney Milan's British English rings true (no 'gotten' or 'in back of' here) and her dialogue is often sparkling -- though I confess to finding some of the supporting cast more interesting than Robert himself. Still, that's what the rest of the series is for!

No comments:

Post a Comment