Thursday, June 27, 2024

2024/095: The Unlikeable Demon Hunter — Deborah Wilde

I’d give freely of my body. My heart was off-limits. Especially to a guy like him. Seriously. I’d take the demons. [p. 253]

Nava Katz is twenty years old, has had to abandon her dream of becoming a dancer due to injury, and is throwing herself into every indulgence she can find. Then she accidentally interrupts the initiation ceremony which is intended to make her twin brother Ari into a fearsome demon hunter ... and finds herself set up to be the first female Rasha (demon hunter) in the boys' own club known as the Brotherhood of David. (Ha, yes, that David: see The Secret Chord. I swear this is coincidence!) Nava is set up to fail, but (when she's not partying, drinking or having one-night stands) she's prettty stubborn.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of book that really does succeed or fail, for the reader, on the likeability of the characters: for me, the title was quite accurate, and none of the other characters (who didn't get much focus or description, possibly because Nava is so self-centred and we're seeing everything through her first-person narration) made up for it. The setting is interesting but the narrator and the prose didn't work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment